A new, open, two-stage competition to designate and fund National Institute for Health Research Diagnostic Evidence Co-operatives (NIHR DECs) has now opened.
The scheme aims to provide NIHR infrastructure funding for NHS Organisations to act as centres of expertise to catalyse the generation of evidence on IVDs that is required by the NHS and by industry. This will be developed through follow-on research funded from other sources and includes evidence which demonstrates the benefit to patients and the healthcare service. NIHR DECs will focus on clinical areas or themes where evidence of the clinical validity, clinical utility, cost-effectiveness and care pathway benefits of IVDs has the potential to lead to improvements in healthcare services and the quality of life of NHS patients.
The aims of the NIHR Diagnostic Evidence Co-operatives will be to:
- act as a catalyst for the generation of high-quality evidence of clinical validity, clinical utility, cost effectiveness and care pathway benefits of commercially-supplied IVDs that is sought by a range of users, for example:
- NHS clinicians and NHS commissioners
- accredited providers of NHS pathology services
- companies involved in the CE marking and marketing of IVDs
- the NICE Diagnostic Assessment Programme
- enable collaboration between clinicians and other healthcare professionals, patients, the IVD industry, staff of at least one accredited provider of NHS pathology services, NHS commissioners, academic researchers including health economists, and patient groups
- create new, world-class methodologies for IVD assessment, where required
NIHR funding will be provided to the NHS Organisation for a four-year period starting 1 September 2013.
The closing date for submission of the Pre-qualifying Questionnaire by the NHS Organisations in England that are interested in being considered for an NIHR Diagnostic Evidence Co-operative is
23 October 2012 at 1.00pm.
A briefing meeting for potential applicants will be held on 12th September 2012 at the Department of Health, 133-155 Wellington House, Waterloo Road, London SE1 8UG, from 14:00-16:00. Up to two people are invited to attend from each organisation. To register for this event please email
The guidance document is
A frequently asked questions document can be
Workshop questions and answers document can be
Workshop 4th February 2013 questions and answers document can be
Membership of the NIHR Diagnostic Evidence Co-operatives Selection Panel available here.