A new, single-stage competition to designate and fund National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) Collaborations for Leadership in Applied Health Research and Care (CLAHRCs) has now opened.
The scheme aims to provide NIHR CLAHRC designation and funding for collaborations that have a very substantial portfolio of world-class applied health research, particularly research targeted at chronic disease and public health interventions, and a track record in translating research findings into improved outcomes for patients.
In all cases, NIHR CLAHRCs will contain substantial existing critical mass and a significant number of applied health research leaders.
The aims of the NIHR CLAHRCs will be to:
- develop and conduct applied health research relevant across the NHS, and to translate research findings into improved outcomes for patients;
- create a distributed model for the conduct and application of applied health research that links those who conduct applied health research with all those who use it in practice across the health community;
- create and embed approaches to research and its dissemination that are specifically designed to take account of the way that health care is delivered across the local AHSN;
- increase the country’s capacity to conduct high quality applied health research focused on the needs of patients, and particularly research targeted at chronic disease and public health interventions;
- improve patient outcomes locally and across the wider NHS; and
- contribute to the country’s growth by working with the life sciences industry.
NIHR funding will be provided to the NHS Organisation for a five-year period starting 1 January 2014.
The closing date for submission of applications by NHS Organisations or providers of NHS services in England that are interested in being considered for an NIHR CLAHRC is 13 May 2013 at 1.00pm.
A briefing meeting for potential applicants will be held on 13 February 2013, venue to be confirmed. Up to two people are invited to attend from each proposed CLAHRC application. To register for this event please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The guidance document is available here.
Workshop 13th February questions and answers and additional FAQs submitted following the workshop can be accessed here.